It is inconceivable, at least for those of us who believe in the real Jesus, that Jesus can ever approve the slavery of any of His human brothers, His very Image. Hebrews 2:9-16.
God has always let men be and act however they please. But, the day of judgment comes so that each man gives Him account of their deeds. But to those who fear God He instructs them to not harm one another.
"And ye shall not wrong one another; but thou shalt fear thy God: for I am Jehovah your God." Leviticus 25:17 ASV
Leviticus 25:44-46 KJV
(44) Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
(45) Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
(46) And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
Leviticus 25:44-45 LITV
(44) And your male slave and your female slave whom you have shall be from the nations who are all around you, you shall buy them as male slave or female slave;
(45) and also you may buy of the sons of the tenants who are residing with you, and of their families who are with you, which they have fathered in your land. And they shall be a possession to you.
Leviticus 25:44-45 CLV
(44) As for your servants and your maidservants who become yours from the nations which are round about you, from them you may buy servants or maidservants.
(45) Also from the sons of guests sojourning among you, from them you may buy and from their families who are among you, whom they begot in your land; they will belong to your holding.
And Jehovah spake by his servants [SLAVES??] the prophets, saying, 2 Kings 21:10 ASV
HOW TO TREAT THE LABOR? MEN DECIDE TO DESIGNATE LABOR AS SLAVERY. MEN ARE SERVANTS OF GOD NOT HIS SLAVES. NO MAN MAY BE THE SLAVE OF A MAN, EVEN THOUGH MANKIND ENSLAVES ONE ANOTHER. LOVE ONE ANOTHER IS THE MOTTO OF GOD, EVEN IN A SERVANT-MASTER SITUATION. Ephesians 6:5-9.
Leviticus 19:13 KJV
(13) Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him: the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning.
Exodus 22:21 ASV
(21) And a sojourner shalt thou not wrong, neither shalt thou oppress him: for ye were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
Exodus 23:9 ASV
(9) And a sojourner shalt thou not oppress: for ye know the heart of a sojourner, seeing ye were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
Leviticus 19:34 ASV
(34) The stranger that sojourneth with you shall be unto you as the home-born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were sojourners in the land of Egypt: I am Jehovah your God.
Deuteronomy 10:19 ASV
(19) Love ye therefore the sojourner; for ye were sojourners in the land of Egypt.
Deuteronomy 24:14 ASV
(14) Thou shalt not oppress a hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy sojourners that are in thy land within thy gates:
The runaway servant or slave is to be given protection and shelter wherever he pleases in Israel and may not be enslaved.
Deuteronomy 23:15-16 KJV
(15) Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee:
(16) He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him.
According to the customs of the time, it is clear in the Bible that people were buying other people to work.
THE BOUGHT SERVANT WAS TO BE AS HEBREW AS THE HOMEBORN HEBREW NOT A SLAVE OR AN OPPRESSED
The foreigner that was bought for money for his service in Israel was seen by Jesus as an integral part of His people or of the family who bought him, not like a hired servant or like a lower-class citizen. Because he was to be circumcised like the Hebrew and permitted to eat the Passover and even the holy things which only priests and his immediate family may eat, something that was forbidden for a hired servant and for a fellow Hebrew (Leviticus 22:10-13).
Exodus 12:43-45 KJV
(43) And the LORD said unto Moses and Aaron, This is the ordinance of the Passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof:
(44) But every man's servant that is bought for money, when thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof.
(45) A foreigner and an hired servant shall not eat thereof.
Leviticus 22:10-13 KJV
(10) There shall no stranger eat of the holy thing: a sojourner of the priest, or an hired servant, shall not eat of the holy thing.
(11) But if the priest buy any soul with his money, he shall eat of it, and he that is born in his house: they shall eat of his meat.
(12) If the priest's daughter also be married unto a stranger, she may not eat of an offering of the holy things.
(13) But if the priest's daughter be a widow, or divorced, and have no child, and is returned unto her father's house, as in her youth, she shall eat of her father's meat: but there shall no stranger eat thereof.
Then, again, how the Hebrews apply Moses was a different story. God cannot be blamed for how the world treated their workers as oppressed things when He decrees how a servant must be treated in Israel. What matters is how Jesus intends His will, which is the will of God the Father, to be strictly followed.
Note that even though Jesus forbids the displeasing behaviors He did not eradicate those who chose those behaviors.
Deuteronomy 4:2 KJV
(2) Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
Deuteronomy 5:32 KJV
(32) Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.